Frame rate on recording lower than specified

• I have FBX set to record at 30fps, and even though my game runs at 60fps or so while recording, FBX records at around 28fps.

This makes it difficult to splice on my intro, which is set at 30fps, as there is the inevitable sound de-synch.

I've tried this with other recording software and don't have this problem, but would like to use FBX, as it isn't as CPU-hungry.

Any idea why this is happening?

• administrators

Hi. We think you're using a hardware NVidia encoder, so can you select a different hardware encoder - the NVenc/NVidia one ending in "MSF"? And see if you get the same problem there.

Please let us know - we're interested in understanding more.

Thanks!

• Thanks for the reply - I'll be fiddling with it tonight and I'll let you know if it works!

• @FBX-Recorder said in Frame rate on recording lower than specified:

NVenc/NVidia

Hi,

Me again.

I had a look at the encoder drop-down and it only shows one - My NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 ti.

The only other options are software encoders.

Is there somewhere I can download the required encoder?

• administrators

You don't have NVIDIA H.264 Encoder MFT, like in the image below?

0_1512658069038_upload-cf692373-e160-4e33-bb94-d9cfe2798721

The latest GeForce driver is version 388.43 which is available from https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/127265

• Nope, don't have that one in the list.

I'll download the latest drivers and let you know if anything changes.

• I think I may know what the problem is - I'm not on Windows 10 anymore.

I rolled back to W7, because I was suffering from massive stutter since the creators update (the fall update didn't solve it either).

I know Windows 10 natively shows the extra encoders, but I'm still checking to see if I can use them in W7.

Will keep you posted!

• administrators

Hi. That's the reason - the "MFT" encoder is an Microsoft one, built into Windows. It might output at a fixed FPS.

• Aah well, I'll just have to keep tracking Microsoft's progress on fixing the stutter, so I can go back to W10.

Maybe one day Microsoft will stop breaking things! :D

• administrators

Shame :( We're going to look into this more soon. For sure, if you select the software encoder named "Higher quality..." this will create a movie at exactly the set FPS. Its not as efficient as the NVidia encoder, but for 30fps, it might go.

Also, you should have an Intel h/w encoder option - your CPU is capable. You could try upgrading Intel drivers to see if the option appears, and try that.

Login

Looks like your connection to FBX Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.